Ice cream in muffins? You betcha! There are only 2 ingredients in the muffins themselves – ice cream and flour (not counting the topping). How can that be? That’s what I thought when I saw Southern Living’s ice cream bread recipe a few years ago. I never made the bread and have had it on my “to make” list for some time now. Of course, my “to make” list is quite extensive, so who knows if I’ll ever get to make everything on it…but I can try!
I had this new Ben & Jerry’s ice cream and decided to make muffins instead of bread. I scooped out the ice cream into a bowl to soften and then licked the spoon for a taste (no, I didn’t use the same spoon to stir the flour into the muffins in case you were wondering). Oh my! This ice cream is incredible; so I just knew the muffins had to be good. As I wanted to add a little something extra, I put a brown sugar-pecan streusel on top…a perfect combination with the caramel. These turned out so good and they’re so easy to make. When I told family and friends how the muffins were made, they were amazed and couldn’t believe it! Try them for yourself and let me know what you think.
The flavor possibilities are endless. Don’t be surprised when you find more muffin or bread recipes showing up on Simply Southern Baking using ice cream…the gears are turning now!
Yield: 9 muffins
- 1 pint (2 cups) caramel ice cream (Ben & Jerry’s Dulce Delish), softened
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray bottoms only of 9 regular-size muffin cups.
- In large bowl, combine ice cream and flour; stir just until flour is moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full.
- In small bowl, combine pecans, brown sugar, flour and butter; mix well. Sprinkle evenly over batter in cups.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.
Welcome to Simply Southern Baking. I’m Robin, the girl behind the recipes wishing I had more time to spend in the kitchen!
Never miss out on a recipe or post. Enter your email to subscribe.