Warning! This cake is so tasty you might need to make two so there’s enough to go around, especially if you’re planning to share it with others. When I made this cake the other night, my hubby couldn’t keep out of it (of course, it does have chocolate in it and that makes it even more tempting)! He was scraping the glaze off the wax paper underneath the cake before it had cooled. When I gave the word that it was ready, he cut a small piece and then went back two more times for yet another “small” piece!
Since this cake starts with a muffin mix, it takes no time at all to put together. The flavors of cinnamon, chocolate and orange complement each other so well and the smell coming from the oven makes you go ahhhh! You’ll have a hard time waiting for the cake to cool and the glaze to set, but the wait is worth it. Time to enjoy this moist and yummy cake!
Servings: 8 (or more depending on preference)
- 1 box (15.2 oz.) cinnamon streusel muffin mix (Betty Crocker)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained, chopped*
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 to 3 1/2 teaspoons orange juice
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour bottom and sides of 9-inch springform pan.
- In large bowl, stir together muffin mix and cinnamon. Add oranges, oil and eggs; stir until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Combine streusel and pecans in small bowl; stir well. Sprinkle over top of cake.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes on wire rack. Remove sides of pan. Cool an additional 30 minutes.
- In small bowl, blend powdered sugar, orange peel and enough orange juice for drizzling consistency. Drizzle glaze over cake.
- Once glaze is set and cake has cooled completely, cut into wedges to serve.
*To easily chop oranges, place in small bowl and snip with kitchen shears.
I’m Robin, the southern girl behind this site who wishes there were more hours in the day!
Looking for something?
Subscribe via Email
Don't miss a recipe or post. Sign up to receive updates by email.