Peanut Butter & Chocolate fans take note – these cookies are addictive! The chocolate kiss actually bakes inside the cookie and they look like little mountains. They are especially hard to resist when warm. I let them cool for about 10 minutes before indulging, but Mr. C (Mr. Chocoholic…aka my hubby) likes them the minute they come out of the oven. I have to remind him that the chocolate is still HOT, but that’s the way he likes them!
These cookies are a much-loved favorite of family and friends. A former co-worker passed on this recipe many years ago and I’ve been making them ever since. Make a batch today and see how fast they disappear! Happy Baking!
Yield: 48 cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 48 chocolate kisses
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In large bowl, combine shortening, sugars, salt and egg; mix well. Blend in peanut butter.
- Combine flour and baking soda in medium bowl; stir together well. Add to peanut butter mixture; mix well.
- Shape dough into small balls (slightly larger than chocolate kiss) and place kiss in the middle. Wrap dough completely around kiss (forming “mound”).
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool for 3 minutes; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
Welcome to Simply Southern Baking. I’m Robin, the girl behind the recipes wishing I had more time to spend in the kitchen!
Thanks for dropping by! Feel free to join the discussion by leaving comments and stay updated by subscribing below.