I was ready to make a quick bread with pears and started looking around the kitchen to see what else I had on hand to make this new creation something really special. Let’s see…toffee, yes! Pumpkin pie spice…oh yeah, this would be a great addition! The thought then came to me to add a glaze with more pumpkin pie spice to boot…yes ma’am! I eagerly mixed everything together and put the pan in the oven. It didn’t take long for the most wonderful aroma to start drifting through the house. Oh my…it smelled sooo good!
The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for the bread to cool (it’s worth the wait though). Once you add the glaze and it sets, you’re good to go. Time to cut this moist and flavorful bread into whatever size pieces your taste buds desire (I prefer thick slices myself). This is one of those breads that could be made in smaller pans to give as gifts. Go ahead…bake a loaf today. You’ll be glad you did!
Yield: 12-16 slices
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled pears
- 2/3 cup toffee bits
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 1/2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice; mix well with wire whisk. Add buttermilk, oil and eggs; mix well with wooden spoon. Stir in chopped pears and toffee bits. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan and place on wire rack. Cool one hour or until completely cooled.
- In small bowl, blend powdered sugar, pumpkin pie spice and enough milk for drizzling consistency. Drizzle glaze over bread. Let set until glaze is set.
Welcome to Simply Southern Baking. I’m Robin, the girl behind the recipes wishing I had more time to spend in the kitchen!
Thanks for dropping by! Feel free to join the discussion by leaving comments and stay updated by subscribing below.