What do you get when you add butter pecan cake mix and caramel bits to basic Rice Krispies Treats? One of the best sweet treats around, that’s what! Until I saw my friend Katie’s video for National Rice Krispies Treats Day last month, I had never thought of adding cake mix to these popular treats. All sorts of flavors starting popping into my head for days after that. Hmm…what would I make first?
Since I’m a big fan of butter pecan and caramel flavors combined, I immediately knew this would be my first version of these yummy treats made with cake mix. Let me tell y’all, these are over the top awesome, delish, scrumptious, fabulous (I could go on and on)…and very addictive!!! Believe me when I tell you, they don’t last long at all! I’ve already made two batches and have plans for more flavors that hubby can’t wait for me to make. You should probably get enough for two batches to start with…you’re bound to get requests to make these over and over. Enjoy!
Yield: 24 squares
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 (10 oz.) bag miniature marshmallows
- 3/4 cup butter pecan cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 (11 oz.) bag caramel bits (see note)
- Spray 13x9-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add marshmallows and stir to coat. Continue stirring until marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat.
- Add butter pecan cake mix to melted marshmallows and mix well. Add Rice Krispies and caramel bits. Stir until cereal and caramel bits are well coated (caramel bits will melt slightly).
- Using a large buttered spoon or spatula, spread and press mixture evenly into prepared pan. Cool completely. Cut into squares.
Kraft Caramel Bits are found in the baking section of the grocery store. They are ready to use straight from the bag. No unwrapping required.
I used a large soup pot to make these treats so there would be plenty of room for stirring.
I’m Robin, the southern girl behind this site who wishes there were more hours in the day!
Looking for something?
Subscribe via Email
Don't miss a recipe or post. Sign up to receive updates by email.