Cinnamon rolls, caramel, apples & pecans…oh my! These flavors all combine to make a coffee cake sure to make you smack your lips! Just caramel and apples together are pure deliciousness as far as I’m concerned. Anyone agree with me on that?
The inspiration for this recipe came from two coffee cake recipes I created several years ago. I’m sharing the story behind this new recipe in two parts. You may find yourself in my place some day (if you haven’t already).
Part 1 – The Flop: Since I made one of the original recipes in a springform pan, I decided I would make this new recipe in the same type pan so I could cut it into wedges. Now mind you, it looked just fine and I went ahead and took pictures of the whole coffee cake. It was then time to cut a piece for plating. Well, lo and behold, I discovered the center wasn’t done as soon as I cut into it! You know that feeling when you’ve bought all the ingredients, put everything together, placed it in the oven and wait for those sweet smells to start drifting through the house. All this anticipation and then you find out that it flopped! Well, not a total flop…a flop for a blog post anyway. We ate the outside edges and just drooled over it. I wanted to just pitch the center, but my in-laws were over and my mother-in-law decided to take the center doughy part home to cook it some more. She didn’t want anything to go to waste! That just goes to show you how good the outside edges were!
Part 2 – The Success: As I’d used a glass baking dish in the other original recipe, I figured I’d use that in round 2 of this new recipe. I baked this one longer and nothing dripped out of the baking dish as it had in the springform pan (forgot to mention that in Part 1). Round 2 was a huge success!!! My in-laws stopped by after I made the second one and we all dug right in! It was lip smackin’ good!
Part 1 (The Flop) was not my first kitchen blunder and I’m sure it won’t be my last! Don’t we all have those times when recipes don’t quite turn out as planned? Come on, fess up now!
I said this makes 9 servings, but you may only get 6 if you like big pieces…or just go back for seconds! If you happen to have any leftovers (notice I said “if”), just heat up in the microwave before serving. It’ll be yummy time again!
Yield: 9 servings
- 1 (17.5 oz.) can big cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing*
- 1 cup finely chopped tart apple*
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup Dulce de Leche caramel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8-inch square glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Separate dough into 5 rolls and cut each into 6 wedges using a serrated knife. Arrange cinnamon roll wedges, points up, in sprayed dish. Sprinkle apples evenly over top. Drizzle with butter.
- In small bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon; mix well. Sprinkle evenly over cinnamon roll and apple mixture. Sprinkle pecans evenly over top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- In 2-cup microwave-safe glass measuring cup, combine cream cheese icing and caramel. Microwave on High for 30 to 40 seconds until slightly melted. Add vanilla and mix until well blended. Pour evenly over warm cake. Cool 10 to 15 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.
*I used Pillsbury Grands! Cinnamons Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing and Granny Smith apples
Welcome to Simply Southern Baking. I’m Robin, the girl behind the recipes wishing I had more time to spend in the kitchen!
Thanks for dropping by! Feel free to join the discussion by leaving comments and stay updated by subscribing below.