Have you ever had brownie brittle? I’d never even heard of this until I recently saw a picture on Instagram. Since the comment mentioned it was at Costco, I decided to pick up a bag on my next trip. I wasn’t exactly sure what these crispy treats would taste like, but I do have a chocoholic in the house and knew it wouldn’t last long anyway (notice the empty bag below). You see, I’m actually a chewy brownie gal myself and was pleasantly surprised by the rich chocolate flavor of this new treat. It’s addictive!
Before I even bought this brownie brittle, I had thoughts to crush it up and add to cookies…what else, huh? It seems I’m always thinking of special cookie additions. OK, now what else could I add to these new cookies? Looking around the kitchen, I spotted Butterfinger candy bars, peanut butter chips and milk chocolate chips…that’s it! Into the bowl all these ingredients went. My last addition was going to be one-half cup of chocolate chips since there already was a bunch of brownie brittle in there, but I went ahead and added a full cup…let’s just load them babies up with goodies! Oh my goodness…these cookies turned out over the top awesome! Mr. C kept grabbing them off the cooling rack and ate so many that I lost count. Good thing I hadn’t planned to take them anywhere or I would’ve had to start all over again with a second batch!
Here’s a funny side note: I used parchment paper on the second cookie sheet just to see if the cookies turned out any different. As soon as I took the cookie sheet out of the oven, the parchment paper slid off onto the oven door and some of the cookies fell in the crack. If that wasn’t enough, the parchment paper then hit the heating element and caught on fire. You should have seen me hurrying around like a crazy woman putting this out! Take a look at the results in the picture below taken with my phone right after this little mishap. Needless to say, no more parchment paper was used that day!
Happy Baking y’all!
Yield: 48 cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups crushed brownie brittle
- 2 (2.1 oz.) Butterfinger candy bars, crushed*
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; blend well with wire whisk or fork.
- In large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, sugar and vanilla; beat on low to medium speed until well blended. Add eggs; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture while beating until well blended. Stir in brownie brittle, crushed candy bars, peanut butter chips and milk chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls about 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.**
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned and set. Cool 3 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. Cool completely.
*To easily crush candy bars, break into pieces and place in mini food processor; process with on and off motions until crushed.
**I use a spring-handled scoop that measures 1 7/8 inches across the top to scoop and drop these cookies.
Source: Adapted from a standard chocolate chip cookie recipe
Welcome to Simply Southern Baking. I’m Robin, the girl behind the recipes wishing I had more time to spend in the kitchen!
Never miss out on a recipe or post. Enter your email to subscribe.