Do you ever have those times when a recipe idea just pops into your head and you say you’ll give it a try some day? Well, that happens to me all the time…my mind doesn’t stop thinking about new recipes! I’ve got so many ideas that it would take me years to make them all, even if I didn’t have another one pop into my head!
Several weeks ago, I started thinking of using Pop-Tarts in a cookie recipe and filed it away in my mental “to make later” file. Yes, Pop-Tarts in cookies….now who wouldn’t like that? Since I finally had a little bit of time to spare and hadn’t baked in a few weeks, the baking mode kicked in and this new cookie was born. Oh my goodness…these cookies turned out better than I expected! When family and friends oohed and ahhed over them, I knew I had a winner. Let me tell you, they are very addictive!
These easy-to-make cookies would be the perfect Valentine’s Day treat with the pretty pink and red colors. Be warned: Once you make these cookies, you better hurry up and put the drizzle on top before the cookie monsters in your house start grabbing them. My hubby quickly snatched a couple before I could even decide whether or not to drizzle a glaze on top!
Thanks to the folks at OXO, I had some extra help when making these cookies. As part of their Blogger Outreach Program, I received their new OXO Good Grips 4 Piece Mini Measuring Beaker Set. These nifty beakers make short order of measuring and pouring small amounts of liquid ingredients. The set includes 2 oz., 1 oz., 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon beakers with easy-to-read measurement markings that also nest for compact storage. OXO also sent along their Good Cookie spatula (shown below) with the measuring beakers (a pleasant surprise). This handy spatula can be used for lifting small to regular size cookies from a cookie sheet. 50% of the profits from the spatula benefit Cookies for Kids’ Cancer.
Bake a batch of these cookies today. You’ll feel like a kid again eating Pop-Tarts…in cookie form!
Disclosure: I received the Mini Measuring Beaker Set and Good Cookie Spatula from OXO. The opinions expressed in this post are my own. This post contains affiliate links.
Yield: 36 cookies
- 1 pouch (1 lb. 1.5 oz) sugar cookie mix (Betty Crocker)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 4 Frosted Cherry Pop-Tarts (2 foil packets from box), chopped
- 1 cup white vanilla baking chips
- 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained well*
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, combine cookie mix and butter. Stir vanilla into egg and beat slightly; add to cookie mix and butter. Stir until soft dough forms. Stir in chopped Pop-Tarts and vanilla baking chips. Gently stir in chopped cherries.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.**
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until cookies are set. Cool 3 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets to wire cooling rack. Cool completely.
- In small bowl, blend powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, cherry juice and enough milk for desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies; let stand until glaze is set.
*Place chopped cherries between layers of paper towels. Press down firmly to blot and remove excess cherry juice.
**I use a spring-handled scoop that measures 1 1/2 inches across the top to scoop and drop cookies.
Source: My original recipe
This post is linked to Meal Plan Monday