Raise your hand if you’re a caramel and chocolate lover. How about a sweet and salty fan? My new recipe for Dulce de Leche Chocolate Pretzel Treats has you covered all around. With only 4 ingredients, they’re a cinch to make. The only cooking involved uses the microwave…a welcome relief in the heat we’re still having around here (yes, I’m ready for fall).
Wouldn’t this be fun to make with the kids? You could have everything on hand and surprise them one day after school, or just have some fun in the kitchen whenever the mood strikes. After making these the first time, your kids may want to make some for friends or teachers. If they’re old enough, they could even make them without your help. Of course, they might need a reminder to clean up afterwards.
This recipe is ideal for last minute treats too. Maybe you find out there’s a school or other event where something sweet is needed and you really want to contribute, but there’s not enough time to bake. No worries…just make these goodies and you’re all set.
Warning: Opening a can of dulce de leche and dipping pretzels in it may slow you down when making these! Take it from me…it’s pretty addictive. I had to get back to the task at hand and finish these fast. Oh my, that reminds me. There’s leftover dulce de leche and pretzels in the kitchen. See ya’ll later…time for a snack!
Mmmm…don’t you want one?
These look like little faces peering back at you.
Now who else will be eating the candy left on the wax paper?
Yield: 24 pretzel treats
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche caramel
- 48 Pretzel Crisps Original flavor
- 1 (16 oz.) package chocolate almond bark
- 4 ounces vanilla almond bark
- Line two large cookie sheets (with sides) with wax paper.
- Using a small offset spatula, carefully spread about 1/2 teaspoon dulce de leche on unsalted side of pretzel and top with another pretzel unsalted side down (making 24 pretzel sandwiches).* Place on wax paper lined cookie sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
- Place chocolate almond bark in large microwave-safe bowl and melt in microwave following directions on package. One pretzel sandwich at a time, place in melted chocolate. Move around a little to coat the bottom and then turn over with a fork. Carefully spoon chocolate over top and sides to cover completely. Lift with fork and tap fork lightly on side of bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place on other wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place vanilla almond bark in small microwave-safe bowl and melt in microwave on High for 60 seconds; stir. Continue heating in 15 second increments; stir until melted and smooth. Spoon into small resealable freezer plastic bag. Cut small tip off one corner of bag and drizzle over pretzel treats.
- Let set until candy has hardened. Cookie sheet can also be placed in refrigerator for 10 minutes to harden the candy quickly.
*If too much dulce de leche pushes through the holes, remove extra with spatula and spread on top of dulce de leche you've just spread on that pretzel.