Are you a fan of chocolate and peanut butter? How about Oreos and Nutter Butters? I’m pretty sure a lot of you are shouting a big YES! I’ve got you covered with all these goodies packed inside my Double Decker Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars. That’s right…all this in one chewy bar cookie!
While pushing my cart through the grocery store one day, I spotted small containers of mini cookies on sale and immediately started thinking of mixing them in some new sweet treat. This happens to me all the time when I’m in the cookie or candy aisle…I try to figure out ways to make them even better in new recipes. Since a layered bar cookie made with two different cookie mixes had been on my mind to make, this was the perfect time to try it out. You start with a chocolate cookie layer on the bottom and then add a peanut butter cookie layer on top. Inside each layer are the opposite chocolate or peanut butter mix-ins. This smelled so good baking and I could hardly wait for it to cool down. Well, actually, I didn’t…I had to dig a small corner piece out while it was still warm! Yummm!!!
With a triple dose of peanut butter and chocolate (or I should say a quadruple dose of chocolate since the chocolate cookie mix has chocolate chunks in it too), you’ll find yourself going back for seconds and maybe even thirds. I knew as soon as I took my first bite that I had to get them out of my house before I ate the whole pan! My in-laws and friends were happy to take them off my hands. And of course, hubby polished off a few since he’s the big chocoholic. Enjoy.
Yield: 24 bars
- 1 pouch (1 lb. 1.5 oz.) Double Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix (Betty Crocker)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg
- 1 (3.5 oz.) container mini Nutter Butter Bites (Nabisco Go-Paks!), crushed*
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 pouch (1 lb. 1.5 oz.) Peanut Butter Cookie Mix (Betty Crocker)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 egg
- 1 (3.5 oz.) container mini Oreo Cookies (Nabisco Go-Paks!), crushed*
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 13x9-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine chocolate cookie mix, oil, water and egg called for under that layer. Stir until soft dough forms. Stir in crushed Nutter Butters and peanut butter chips. Press dough in bottom of prepared pan.
- In another large bowl, combine peanut butter cookie mix, oil, water and egg called for under that layer. Stir until soft dough forms. Stir in crushed Oreos and chocolate chips. Press dough evenly on top of chocolate cookie layer.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown and set. Place pan on wire rack to cool completely (about 2 hours). Cut into 24 bars.
*One heaping cupful of each of the mini cookies can be substituted for the container.
I prefer canola oil, but you can use vegetable oil instead.
I’m Robin, the southern girl behind this site who wishes there were more hours in the day!
Looking for something?
Subscribe via Email
Don't miss a recipe or post. Sign up to receive updates by email.