This special cornbread with a crumb topping starts with a mix.
This seems to be the most popular time of year for outdoor cooking on the grill. No one wants to spend all night in the kitchen when there are so many other things to do. Quick and easy meals are a must after a busy day. One of our favorite no-fuss meals is chicken on the grill, baked potatoes in the microwave and a salad. Pretty easy, right?
Sometimes you want something special to add to the mix though. That’s where this Pineapple Cheddar Cornbread with Buttery Cracker Topping comes in. This recipe is made in partnership with Fleishmann’s Simply Homemade as part of their “Ultimate Cornbread Grilling Challenge” to make cornbread the center of grilled meals. Using a mix keeps things really simple and saves time.
Since cornbread in a cast iron skillet is the best by far in my book, I knew this was the way to go for my new recipe. One of the side dishes I make occasionally to take to a gathering is a pineapple and cheese casserole topped with a cracker topping. I decided to give these tastes a whirl in cornbread. Mmmmm….give it a try. It’ll be the star of a simple grilled meal. You can mix it up and throw it in the oven while the grill is going outside.
This cornbread has a wonderful taste with just the right amount of sweetness and the texture is just what you’d expect in a great cornbread. I actually made the mix into muffins with no additions before I came up with this recipe and was hooked. It’s so good y’all! We put the leftover muffins in the microwave the next night to heat up and I also crumbled one up in a salad for lunch. When you don’t have time to make cornbread from scratch, this gives you that homemade taste without a lot of fuss.
For me, nothing tops a bowl of greens or pinto beans better than a piece of cornbread. We southerners love our cornbread!
Tell me how you take your cornbread. Is it plain with butter, drizzled with honey, made with mix-ins, a topping on a casserole, or some other creative spin? Fill me in.
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 (15 oz.) package Fleishmann’s Simply Homemade Cornbread Baking Mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely crushed round buttery crackers
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Generously grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Place in oven and preheat at 375 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine cornbread mix, milk, 1/3 cup melted butter and egg. Stir until ingredients are moistened and well combined. Stir in pineapple and cheese.
- In small bowl, combine crushed crackers and 1/4 cup melted butter. Stir to mix well.
- Carefully remove hot skillet from oven as soon as oven is preheated and place on heatproof surface. Pour cornbread batter into skillet. Sprinkle cracker and butter mixture evenly over top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.
If you’re looking for more homemade recipes from Simply Homemade, visit them online (click here).
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in partnership with Fleishmann’s Simply Homemade. The opinions expressed in this post are my own.
I’m Robin, the southern girl behind this site who wishes there were more hours in the day!
Looking for something?
Subscribe via Email
Don't miss a recipe or post. Sign up to receive updates by email.